21 February 2010

Haiti Solidarity Project Connection

This post and future posts here will serve as a forum for students and faculty to connect on projects for Haiti Solidarity Day. Below, I will list the different things that we will need student/faculty driven groups on. If you are interested in a project, leave your name, what you'd like to do for the project, and the best way to contact you. Please comment with what you are interested in and hopefully we can get people to cover all the bases.

1) We need a group of people who are interested in creating posters/fliers and running the advertising for the event. This would include getting the word out on campus in every way possible.

2) I know there are several students already working on a trafficking project or are interested in doing a project on trafficking. Can all of you please get in touch so that you can get on the same page.

3) We need a group of students to create a project on the refugee/displaced persons crisis after the earthquake. If you are interested but don't know where to look/what to look into I will work with you.

4) I will be working on a project on the prospect of debt relief to Haiti. Anyone who would like to join me, I would love to have some help on it.

5) There is going to be a project on clean water run by a group already on campus. John Boss is the person to contact if you are interested in this.

6) Depending on how many people are interested in this topic will depend on how many projects will come out of it. Mar and I would like a group to outline the humanitarian response to the earthquake including Partners in Health, the Red Cross, and the comfort ship. If there are a good amount of people interested in this, we could break the groups into specific organizations.

7) We need a group to create a project on the vital aspects of Haitian culture and to connect the tragedy with the rich culture Haiti has.


This is all we have right now, but we really need people to start giving us an idea of what you want to do. Use this thread as a way to share ideas and connect with others who are interested in the same things.

9 comments:

  1. Hi, I'd love to work on the advertising, and to think about something we could do for #7... I'm also willing to help with any of the above, so anything you need me for please don't hesitate to ask! My email is danielle.ferrara2@marist.edu and my cell is 201 841 8200. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My group and I are raising money to buy tee shirts for our "tees for two" project. We just had a bake sale and are on our way. We plan to have the shirts sold at the event to raise money for Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey id definitely like to help with 1. fliers and advertising.

    im also really interested in 2. trafficking 3. refugees and 5. clean water.

    let me know who else is inetrested or if people are alreayd getting togteher cause i wanna join. my email is lauren.goodman1@marist.edu and my cell is 203 770 2092
    thanks-lauren goodman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you decided to use this blog. It makes it much easier to communicate for those whose scheduling conflicts prevent them from attending the meetings.

    I would be happy to work with any public relations ideas you have for organizing and promoting the event on campus.

    Also, in my research methods class, my group happens to be doing a comparative analysis between how the British and American Red Cross organizations are responding to the crisis in Haiti. If that would be something you would be interested in having a display/short presentation for, I'm sure I would be able to think of something. Also if you are interested in getting a speaker from the Red Cross to attend, I would be more than willing to look into it. In high school we managed to obtain a speaker from Doctors without Borders so it is entirely feasible.

    Stephanie D'Adamo
    101-23-561
    #845-242-3772

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too, think this blog was a great idea because it has been tough making some of the meetings. I would be happy to help out in any way that I can, however more specifically I am interested in the promotion and fund raising of the event, human trafficking and clean water.

    If anyone is interested in working together,
    my number is 631-834-9866

    - Colleen Burke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    I'm interested in helping you and Mar with 6)
    Also, what do you think about me inviting the French/Haitian church in Poughkeepsie and asking their orchestra (I heard it consists of all children and that they are very good) if they would play for us? It would be cool to have some Haitian food there too but that might be too much work- you think? Also- I met someone through Women's Work that is selling fair trade Haitian Coffee to help rebuild a school for the handicapped that was destroyed in the quake. I told her that there was a possibility that she could have a table at the event? And can we invite the Vassar Haiti Project? Maybe have some of their artwork (provide some Haitian culture while showcasing their project?) up? An eight year old boy has been selling bookmarks for Haiti through fundraisers at Women's Work and wants to see if he could have a table at our event- would that be ok? Sorry I haven't had the opportunity to make it to the meetings yet but I've been telling everyone about it! I can do a lot of advertising through Women's Work but I can also write an article for the Poughkeepsie Journal to advertise if that is ok. I think it would be cool to get the Poughkeepsie community over to Marist for the event. What do y'all think?

    -Alanna Henneberry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can help you, Mike, as well as with #6. I really like the idea of incorporating Haitian culture into the day, I can talk to the people I know in dance club to see if they would want to do something with Haitian dance to perform at the day.
    Is John Boss at student? do we have any contact info for him?

    -Jaimee De Pompeo
    631 513-3661

    ReplyDelete
  8. No. 7 or new No. 8- Organize a film perhaps? I have a copy of the Agronomist. It might be a way of showcasing culture. - Jerusa Ali

    Here is a link to lists of other documentaries:
    http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/films/filmlist.htm
    http://haiti.suite101.com/article.cfm/films-about-haiti
    http://www.cineinstitute.com/news/recovery-and-reportage
    http://www.belfim.com/trailers.php/cat/6

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mike, Great work with the blog. I will be following and look for ways that Campus Ministry can help. If you can think of anything, let me know.

    ReplyDelete